Friday, February 27, 2004

Twelve Things in a Box

This came to me in email, and it seemed worth doing. How do I pare down my life to the essentials?

"So, say you were meeting a new person--blind date, new friend, who knows. And you wanted them to have some idea of what kind of person you are, and who you are. But you can't actually tell them in so many words. Instead, you have to give them a box, with a dozen things in it for them to look at/read/listen to/taste/whatever. What would you put in the box? And a copy of your journal would be the same thing as just telling them directly, yourself, so that's not allowed."


The King James Bible
Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte
Little Women by Louisa May Alcott
The Female Man by Joanna Russ
Lullabye (my oldest toy)
an up-to-date family album (including my birth family and my Califamily)
my cat, Gabriel, who would be seriously affronted by being kept in a box
a clear glass teapot and teacup
my iTunes playlist
one of my cross-stitched labyrinths
the dish of treasured stones I keep on my desk
a loaf of home-baked bread


Six places to see in order to understand me

Plenty of the things I love best can't be enclosed in a box. I'm also unusually attached to houses and landscapes.

The house where we lived from the time I was 3 until I was 6 (RD 2 Orangeville, Columbia County, PA)
the area around Jackson, in Susquehanna County, PA
the campus of Eastern College, St. Davids, Montgomery County, PA
the Art Museum neighborhood in Philadelphia
the roadcut on Rte 23, just north of Butler, NJ -- one of the most spectacular rock outcrops I've ever seen (it's the picture in the lower-right-hand corner of the first page)
the road between La Honda and Pescadero, San Mateo County, California

No comments: