Saturday, August 31, 2002

The Best Commemoration Idea So Far

The Rolling Requiem is (in the words of their website):

a worldwide concert to honor those lost and those who helped others on September 11, 2001. While this terrorist tragedy took place in three United States locations, people from all over the world were affected. The goal of the Rolling Requiem is to have choirs performing in each time zone around the globe, beginning at 8:46 AM, the moment of the first attack With choirs in each time zone performing, continuous signing, or Rolling Requiem, will be heard throughout a 24-hour period.

The Requiem in question is, of course, the Mozart Requiem. It helped me survive when Diane died. In expressing grief, it transcended it, and it helped me feel, acknowledge, and go beyond my own mourning.

I'll be participating in this by playing the Requiem (conducted by Sir Neville Marriner) on my headphones at work.

Music like this transcends politics. Someday soon I need to discuss the complex feelings 9/11 rouses in me, but one thing is sure: this requiem is great enough to acknowledge our dead, to grieve for our lost heroes, and to look beyond factionalism, greed, hatred, and despair.

No comments: